When we moved, my commute time tripled. I've been able to alleviate some of that commute time by working in our Syracuse office, but it still means I am on the road for two hours a day an average of three days a week. Now I have way too much time to think about everything. And I mean everything. But I've made a list of the top 12 thoughts that run through my head during my commute... Well, the ones without the drama or me overthinking every. single. situation.
- Timing: Did I leave the house on time? How can it take me 30 minutes one day and 45 minutes the next? Did I remember everything? Do I
deservehave time for a coffee stop this morning?
- To-Do List: I forgot I was going to do x, y, and z last night for work. Who am I kidding? I have no energy to do work after I get the kids to bed. [This is why I go in early; to be productive before the distractions of the morning.]
- Work stuff: What was that code reference? The one I needed to remember about the fire extinguisher path of travel. NFPA? UFC? How am I going to cut 886 sf from this building? Don't forget to call the window rep today.
- To-Do List: Did I ever finish and send out the grant proposal for Habitat for Humanity?
- Dinner: What's for dinner? Moe's Monday? Oh wait, I need to take something out. Maybe try a new Pinterest recipe?
- Road Rage: Why is this car going 45 in a 55? Don't they know the damn speed limit?
- Kids: What to do with the kids tonight? Do they need a bath? I wonder how many times Alec will wake up tonight...
- Road Rage: Did I miss my exit? Nope, just kidding, just past the landmark. Seriously, how much longer will it take to get there? How do I already need gas again this week?
- Weekend Plans: What is on the agenda this weekend? Ugh, I need to find time to study. And fold laundry. And maybe clean the house. Who am I kidding? It will be a disaster in five minutes anyway.
- Cash Flow: Is it Friday yet? Payday Friday? What bills are due? Are we over budget? I need to update our budget.
- Working Out: I wonder if I will get in a workout? Maybe I should just get up earlier to do it. Haha. Getting up before five go to work is already early enough.
- To-Do List: I need to measure the garage so I can lay out the mudroom area and the workbenches. And space for storage. I wonder how long it will take to build the mudroom area. I think we can do it in a weekend...
What do you do on a long commute when you are the one driving?